Tuesday 20 January 2015

Losing my faith

Six massive months have passed since my last blog post. I really have no idea what's going on with me. I am busy but I can't really excuse being busy for six months. It's not that I never really have the time, it's that I haven't really made the time. I'm not quite sure what's going on.

Around the time of my last blog post I was really pushing my journalism career. I attended several 'GoThinkBig' open days (which I highly recommend) and ending up walking around the Motorcycle News office! I really interacted with the writers there, asking loads of questions and expressing my views on things (which is very unlike me). This led to an opportunity to meet Rupert Paul, a highly respected motorbike journalist. With a bit more forward talking, I explained to him just how much I wanted to become a motorbike journo and I think he really understood that I wasn't kidding about wanting to be a journalist.

Which led to a job opportunity. Very kindly, Rupert offered me the chance to gain some experience in professional writing - I was (and still am) in shock. I received my first freelance job; interviewing James Toseland and Neil Hodgson about the forthcoming MotoGP races - I still can't believe it!




The best part was rushing home with MCN sport under my arm, dying to flick through and find my name in the little black writing. I shown it off to all of my work colleagues with pride and my supervisor even photocopied it and hung it up on the wall! Not long after I was offered ANOTHER interview and this time it was with current British MotoGP racer, Bradley Smith! I was in my element, planning the rest of my future and thinking of all the amazing things I will do when I become a journalist.

I was on top of the world...

So what on earth happened?

Lately, things seemed to have gone down the pan. I've moved house since then which has made it so much harder to use my motorbike. I had a choice of leaving the Fz6 outside in the icy weather or to keep it at my parent's house in a nice garage, protected from rust and corrosion.

I chose to keep it at my parent's house but it's just really rare that I actually ride my bike anymore. I think not riding motorbikes has had a knock on effect with my journalism and my blog posts too (not to mention YouTube videos).

It's not that I've lost interest in motorbikes or journalism. I just think that I've lost that little bit of inspiration, in these dark winter days.

I went out on my bike two days ago for the first time in about two months! I was greeted by freezing temperatures, buckets of rain and a shortage of bacon at my local bike stop. Despite these things, I still had a whole lot of fun. I've also began planning a few road trips for this year (which I won't mention, in fear of being cancelled) and have started looking at new bikes to use on these trips.

It's time to be getting myself back on the road and back on the keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment